Friday, November 25, 2011

mother may i?

There are total ups and downs associated with motherhood. One thing I love about being a mom is being surrounded by my girls wherever I am/wherever I go. One thing that causes me to feel extremely claustrophobic, or "clausty" as my mom likes to say, is being surrounded by my girls where I am/wherever I go. I realize it's paradoxical. But it's true.
For example, this afternoon the girls and I were watching "The Family Stone" (on FX--the edited TV version). I love that movie! Tana was stretched out on the right side of the couch; her body occupying nearly two full cushions. Tater, Bug & I were taking up the other cushion and a half. This was fabulous for about 45 minutes. Then the "stop touching me", "get your feet off me", "you have more room than I do" started. I was still okay though. It's the day after Thanksgiving. My family's home. We have nothing important to do. It's a great day!
I went to the kitchen table to finish reading "Unbroken". Immediately Kenne was seated beside me eating her Thanksgiving leftovers. Ahhh! Let me just say that chewing in my ear is quite possibly my greatest impatience causer. It kills me, try as I might to ignore it. Of all the eight chairs at our kitchen table, she chose the one right beside me. I love sitting next to me girls! But when they're eating and I'm not, it's a little tough.
Shakes (our favorite custard place on the planet!) is selling their cones today for 10 cents to celebrate their 10th anniversary. I took the girls this afternoon and told them that for the only time in their lives we would get cones twice in one day. As a result I've heard, "can we go to Shakes? Can we go to Shakes now? Now can we go to Shakes?" 92 times today.
Something I think you recognize only as a mother is how much your children love to be wherever you are: the bathroom, on the toilet, in the shower, wherever. This is totally true of my girls. All four of them will gather in the master bathroom as I'm getting out of the shower, just to chat. They'll all pile into our bed to hang out and watch our little 9" TV (I LOVE this!) and leave the big ol' flat screen devoid of an audience. They'll follow me, like little ducklings, as I do jobs around the house, walking from the kitchen, to the laundry room, to my room, upstairs, downstairs, etc.
As fabulous as it is 99% of the time, that other 1% is what gets me into trouble. It's that darn 1% that leaves me begging Dust, "Please, just take them to Shakes and give me 15 minutes of quiet." "Please take them on a walk", "on a drive", "to the beach". Mama needs a break!
I love my family but every once in a while I need to be by myself. Cute little Kenne said it best when she was only four years old, "I need some alone time."
Baby, so do I!

1 comment:

  1. Ha, Clausty! I love that word. I hardly ever use it for fear of sounding a little crazy, but it's my favorite abbrev.

    I love this trait about you. It makes me feel better when I have those freaking out moments when I want to just push one of my children off of my lap because I can't be touched anymore. Do we get it from Mom?

    ReplyDelete