To me the most defining characteristics of a Southern woman are two things: her faith in Jesus Christ and her absolute devotion to her family. Everything else about her is wrapped up in her commitment to her Savior and her loved ones.
Her delicious baked goods (from scratch, multi-layer cakes & to-die-for frostings), scrumptious dinners, perfectly pressed monogrammed linens, just-polished silver tea sets, little girls with smocked dresses and huge hair bows, little boys with perfectly parted hair, and everything else are pure bonuses!
Dustin's mom, Carolyn, was the epitome of a Southern woman. She loved her Savior Jesus Christ and she served Him to her fullest each day of her life. She was full of charity and purity. She was an absolutely incredible wife and mother. Her days and nights revolved around raising, protecting, and loving her children.
Carolyn was full of energy; she had to be as a young mother to a four year old, two year old, and twin baby boys. Yikes! Her former neighbors remember her central vacuum revving up every day at 6am sharp. She washed everyone's bath/shower towels every day. She packed five lunches every day (until the kids graduated from high school). She ironed the kids clothes (jeans and t-shirts included) every day. Carolyn was the hostest with the mostest; all the kids' friends loved her! She was dressed to the nines always~lace socks and ballet flats were her signature wardrobe pieces. Her home always smelled divine (inside and out- there was always laundry going and you could smell the fabric softener filling the air outside), was always immaculate, and was always open to anyone and everyone.
As a mother to four G.R.I.T.S. (girls raised in the South) I am aware of the responsibility that is mine to continue this incredible tradition. ~Then when they go off to BYU all the boys will fall at their feet and try their best to win the hearts of my beautiful Southern girls...women.
Oh how we miss our sweet Carolyn!

You may be a transplant, but you are definitely one of those beautiful southern women! I have no doubt that your girls will be the same.
ReplyDeleteI love Carolyn! I used to be in awe of her when you and Dust were first married. I remember her at your shower at her house, thinking how beautiful she was and I loved how she had their house decorated. I used to walk around and try to look at every single thing. What a sweet, amazing lady. And you are too! I'm glad you included me, because, yes, I would love to be a Southern woman!-Kate
ReplyDeleteI echo Mary's comment! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
ReplyDeleteAwww, thank you, ladies! Kate, you too are the epitome of a Southern woman! You're incredible!!
ReplyDelete