1. Egg nog or hot chocolate?
To me egg nog tastes like curdled milk that has been blended (the chunks are gone but the taste is the same). I love a good hot chocolate--Stephen's is my absolute favorite. I also enjoy a good hot cider. But because we live in sunny Florida the weather is rarely cold enough during the Christmas season to warrant drinking either. Therefore they remind me more of skiing than Christmastime.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just put them under the tree?
I was just talking to Tatum about this today. Santa doesn't wrap the gifts he brings to our house (nor did he wrap the gifts he brought to the Baums or the Rogers). They aren't under the tree either. Filled stockings and presents from Santa are set out on the couches and coffee table. It's fantastic walking toward the tree and seeing evidence of Santa's visit spread across the couches and table.
3. Colored lights or white lights?
White. White. White.
4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Yes and I love it! It's always a treat meeting Dust under our mistletoe. hubba hubba.
Ashton had a friend over last week and they kissed under the mistletoe a couple times. (I felt the need to offer a brief explanation to the other mom. I didn't want her thinking there was any hanky panky going on at our house.)
5. When do you put up your decorations?
Typically I put up our Christmas decorations a day or two after Thanksgiving. This year I just couldn't do it though. Thanksgiving was so early. Our decorations finally made their debut the Tuesday following Thanksgiving.
6. What is your favorite Christmas dish?
My mom's cold veggie pizza; it's in the shape of a Christmas tree. It is delightful! The crust is made from crescent roll dough. The sauce is cream cheese and dill (probably sour cream and mayo too). The decorations are diced red, yellow, orange, and green peppers.
7. Favorite Christmas memory as a child?
I don't know. Every Christmas has been absolutely amazing.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I don't remember how, I just remember I was 8. I was so disappointed. I was too young to appreciate all that my parents did. It just seemed the magic of Christmas was gone--over. The magic was back the following year, thankfully, and it's gotten stronger over the years. I believe now more than ever!
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Yes. Pajamas. It's a Rogers & Baum tradition. A tradition I love!
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
White lights, red beaded garland, raffia garland, an assortment of ornaments, a star on top. Our tree carries ornaments from my childhood, ornaments the girls have made, ornaments I've collected since we were married, ornaments I've given the girls and Dust, and ornaments from friends and family. Our tree has a lot of sentimental value and I love it!
11. Snow: love it or dread it?
I love snow! It is synonymous with the Christmases of my childhood. We live in Florida, however, and therefore Christmas is sandy white, not snowy white.
12. Can you ice skate?
Yes but my skills in my mind are far better than my actual physical skills. It's definitely better to see me ice skate in my mind than it is in your eyes.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
As much as I love receiving gifts (and I LOVE receiving gifts!) it's better watching my girls receive gifts. That's my favorite.
14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you?
Family.
15. What is your favorite Christmas dessert?
I have three: Sue Groesbeck's caramels, Dina Driggs' toffee, and Sister Sorenson's butter cookies. Unfortunately they're all delivered to my parents' house so unless we're in Utah I don't get any. Maybe next year...
16. What is your favorite Christmas tradition?
I love it all. Reading Christmas books all month, singing Christmas carols, reading scriptures of Christ's birth, listening to Christmas music, Christmas shopping, decorating, baking, eating, nativities, wrapping gifts, giving gifts, opening gifts, family dinners, Christmas movies, watching others' excitement and anticipation. It's the most wonderful time of the year!
17. What tops your tree?
A star. I love what the star represents.
18. Which do you prefer? Giving or receiving?
I love receiving. But as awesome as it is to receive, giving is a thousand times better.
19. Candy canes: yuck or yum?
I don't ever eat candy canes. But I LOVE candy cane/peppermint ice cream, candy cane kisses, and all things made with candy canes.
20. Favorite Christmas show?
Yikes! I don't know if I can select just one, there are so many great ones. Elf. The Santa Clause 1, 2, & 3. Home Alone. The Family Stone. Christmas Vacation. The Holiday.
21. Saddest Christmas song?
"Have yourself a merry little Christmas" by Judy Garland breaks my heart. If you have to "muddle through" it has to be bad, right? We have a lot of military families in our Stake. Many of whom end up being separated at Christmas due to deployments. I'm sure thankful for our military. A friend's hubby is in Afghanistan right now; he'll be gone for Christmas. "Someday soon we all will be together, if the fates allow. Until then we'll have to muddle through somehow. So have yourself a merry little Christmas now."
22. What is your favorite Christmas song?
"The most wonderful time of the year" by Andy Williams.
23. Do you use an advent calendar?
Yes. Carolyn gave us one and we love it! The girls take turns putting an ornament on the tree each day.
24. Do you go to church on Christmas?
If Christmas is on a Sunday then yes; we don't have church unless it's on a Sunday. Tana and I are actually speaking this Christmas.
25. What were your Christmas morning rules as a kid?
We had to wait for everyone to wake up, Mom & Dad would go first because they were the holders of the camera/video camera, then it was youngest to oldest. The loot from Santa was attacked first then it was on to the wrapped presents under the tree. These were opened in reverse baby order, one at a time.
The rules are the same in our house.
I love posts like this where you learn so much about people! Merry Christmas!!!
ReplyDelete