Monday, December 19, 2011

the help

I watched "The Help" with Tana, Kenne, and Tater tonight. Even though the language is pretty stinky I felt the need for them to see this movie, to know this part of America's history. We laughed and we cried. The girls' hearts broke as they realized the hatred shown to some, just because of the color of their skin. They were disgusted. Rightfully so.
I remember being surprised at various times during my childhood upon realizing not every child had a life like mine: parents who loved and cared for one another and for their children; a clean home in which to live; delicious and nutritious food to eat; clean clothes to wear; days free of worry, fear, and ridicule. Tonight was one of those times for my girls. They were surprised, even shocked, to realize that people are so cruelly treated.
"The Help" made the girls more aware of some very real, very tragic issues. Issues such as domestic violence, racism, hatred, segregation, etc.
I can't help but think of the Savior's words from Matthew 25:40, "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."
Oh how I hope I leave a legacy of love rather than a legacy of impatience, intolerance, or hate. "...I never have yet felt a tinge of regret for being just a little too kind."

1 comment: