Tuesday, January 24, 2012

love at home



I fell head over heels in love with Dust when I was 18. We got married two months before I turned 19. We were both students, both working (Dust full time & me part time), and both loving our life together. I loved having a home of our own; I loved cleaning! Our house was always immaculate. I'd get after Dust if he walked on my vacuum lines in the carpet (neurotic, yes. OCD, yes).
I wasn't much of a cook, especially since we didn't have a dishwasher. The fact that every dish had to be hand-washed was a total cooking deterrent. Thankfully both our parents lived less than 10 minutes away. We'd conveniently show up at dinnertime on a near-nightly basis. Whoever had a more (in our opinion) appetizing dinner menu was lucky enough to host us for the evening.
After two and a half years of married life in Provo we moved to Florida. Tana was only three weeks old. I was excited and devastated at the same time. I knew a great adventure was in store for our little family but the thought of leaving my parents and siblings was absolutely terrifying.
I loved life as a young mom with a new baby and handsome hubby. I cooked, cleaned, and mothered as if I was born to do nothing else. I knew this is exactly what I was destined to become; I treasure motherhood!
We've lived in Destin for 13 years. I cannot imagine my life anywhere else. I can't imagine raising my girls anywhere but here. This place is idyllic!



I still cook, clean and mother. Of course I don't love, love, love every minute of it. But overall I love, love, love it! We're healthy. We're happy. We laugh together. We enjoy spending time with one another.
The girls are so easy now. I went shopping Saturday with Tana, Kenne, and Ashton (Tater was at a friend's). I wasn't worried they would break something. They stayed by me. We joked. We laughed. We had fun!
I am so thankful for my life. I have a strong body that allows me to do great things: conceive, carry, give birth to, and raise four amazing girls. My darling hubby is a hard worker. He is good at what he does. He brings home the bacon so this mama doesn't have to (this is something I am more thankful for than words can express). He honors his priesthood and loves his family. Our girls are amazing. Montana is kind, compassionate, sweet, and loving. Kennedy is a hard, hard worker, she is smart, dedicated, and loyal. Tatum is spunky, helpful, curious, and hilarious. Ashton is easy going, sweet, funny, and good.


My darling great grandmother loved the hymn "Love at Home". I always think of her when I sing it. I remember singing this song with her, surrounded by dozens of Whittle family members, all of us singing:


"There is beauty all around when there's love at home; there is joy in every sound when there's love at home. Peace and plenty here abide, smiling sweet on every side. Time doth softly, sweetly glide when there's love at home. Love at home, love at home; time doth softly, sweetly glide when there's love at home.
"In the cottage there is joy when there's love at home; hate and envy ne'er annoy when there's love at home. Roses bloom beneath our feet; all the earth's a garden sweet, making life a bliss complete when there's love at home. Love at home, love at home; making life a bliss complete when there's love at home.
"Kindly heaven smiles above when there's love at home; all the world is filled with love when there's love at home. Sweeter sings the brooklet by; brighter beams the azure sky. Oh, there's One who smiles on high when there's love at home. Love at home, love at home; oh, there's One who smiles on high when there's love at home."


I am so thankful for the opportunity to teach my four beautiful daughters of God the amazing truths in this statement by Sister Nadauld, former General Young Women President:

Pinned Image

1 comment: