By August of 2002 I had three "babies" at home. Tana was 3 1/2, Kennedy was not quite 2, and Tatum was brand new (and teeny tiny). Tatum was born the day before my 25th birthday.
Life was super fun but super busy with three baby girls underfoot at all times, and in all things, and in all places. Ashton joined the ranks the summer of 2006. Montana was just about to enter 2nd grade, Kennedy 1st grade, and Tatum 4yr old preschool.
When Ashton started 3yr old preschool in August of 2009 I went back to school. It was high time I finish, or at least begin the process of finishing, what I'd started at BYU the summer of 1995. I took one semester of classes at Northwest Florida State College (in Niceville). This was a huge blow to my ego; I felt like I'd taken a major step backward in receiving my education. I began my undergrad degree at one of the country's most competitive universities and was going to finish my degree at a junior college??? No way!
In January of 2000 I transferred to BYU (via online classes). I will finish at BYU, hip hip hooray! I have eight classes to go until I finish and can finally legitimately say to my girls, "Rogers go to college to graduate...and get married."
The volume level of our house from 8am-3pm is markedly different than it once was. Here I sit at my computer updating the blog and doing homework in a completely silent house. Of course it's plenty chaotic from 7-8am and 3-9pm. Those chaotic times are crazy but they're wonderful too. It's when Dust & I are able to wholly enjoy these little daughters of God who are growing into truly beautiful young women, soon to be wives & mothers.
I have always wanted to be a mom. Always! I am incredibly thankful that I am able to be a stay-at-home mom. I was raised by a stay-at-home mom, Dust was too. It is important to us that I be here with our girls... enjoying the moments of laughter, spontaneous dance parties and handstand contests, talks about boys, baking and eating together, talking about the world and how we are supposed to be a peculiar people/different than those around us.
President Ezra Taft Benson said, "Be at the crossroads when your children are either coming or going--when they leave and return from school, when they leave and return from dates, when they bring friends home. Be there at the crossroads whether your children are six or sixteen."
I loved having my mom home every day. I knew she would be there and I LOVED it! I loved the peace and security that being home with Mom provided. She created an amazing home environment for us and it is in her home that I developed my intense love of home. I love being at home. I have always loved being at home.
I am so thankful to be at the crossroads. I love being here in the morning to get my girls ready and out the door. I love welcoming them in the afternoon. I love hearing their voices whether they're telling me about their day, complaining about a homework assignment, or telling a joke (in the longest way humanly possible. haha!) I love their laughter! I get a kick out of their idiosyncrasies, their personalities, their sense of humor, their desires for goodness. I am so thankful to be a mom! I love being a mom!! I am thankful that our church continues to testify of the importance of family despite the world's views of its decreasing, even obsolete, importance.
I know I am doing God's work as Dust & I raise these beautiful girls.

Ditto, Jess! Enjoy those noisy times while you can. You will blink, and your house will be quiet almost all the time, (except for a few times a year when it is total, wonderful, chaos)!
ReplyDelete