Thursday, December 8, 2011

oh, hush thee, my baby...

...a story I'll tell, how little Lord Jesus on earth came to dwell; how in a far country, way over the sea, was born a wee baby, my dear one, like thee. Lullaby baby, lullaby dear. Sleep, little baby; have nothing to fear. Lullaby baby, lullaby dear. Jesus will care for his little one here.
This is one of my favorite lullabies. I sang it to my babies all the time; I still sing it to them. It seems especially appropriate at Christmastime.

A holiday tradition that I absolutely treasure is our live nativity. I look so forward to seeing images such as this:







It seems so fitting to have Christmas on a Sunday this year. My girls think church is going to interfere with our Christmas morning; I think they'll change their minds. I'm looking forward to going to church, partaking of the sacrament, singing Christmas hymns, and feeling the whisperings of the still small voice.
I love the Christmas story. Most beautiful of all is the book of Luke. I love reading it and hearing in my mind the voice of my sweet great grandmother. She was always the narrator for our nativity in Utah. Oh how I loved listening to her soft, shaky voice as she read Luke's account of our Savior's birth.

This picture is so fuzzy but I love it anyway.

My girls love for me to sing to them at night, well, besides Tana. She doesn't want me to sing to her, but she always leaves her door open until I'm done singing to the other three. Despite being "too old" I think she still wants to be sung to sleep. I don't have a beautiful voice but my girls still find comfort in my lullabies. Oh how I love that!

"Lullaby, lullaby, my little one. Lullaby, my child so dear. Thy precious life has just begun; thy mother holds thee near. While Joseph watches through the night, a star reflects thy radiant light. Lullaby, lullaby, my little one. Lullaby, my child so dear. Thy gentle head shall wear a crown, for thy Father is the King. Thy tender hands, so tiny now, have blessings great to bring. Let all creation join my song, for peace and love this night are born. Lullaby, lullaby, my little one. Lullaby, my child so dear."

1 comment:

  1. This made me cry, Jess. That's hard to do you know. I'm missing you guys more than ever this time of year. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete