Wednesday, April 25, 2012

pre camp 2012

Last weekend was our Stake's pre-camp. Since Kenne will be at camp this year (as an almost-twelve year old) she was able to go; she was in heaven. We had such a fun time! To be honest I felt a bit emotional. I love the Young Women program so to have two of my girls there with me (as a leader) was fantastic!


Saturday morning I led the hike with Brother Morgan. We chatted while the 50something girls trailed behind us. I kept hearing the same song, sung by different groups of girls. I was impressed by the lyrics but overall the song was unfamiliar to me.
This morning Tana & Kenne were singing it while getting ready (they were watching the video on YouTube via Tana's iPhone). I was excited! I wanted to hear all the words. The video is darling and so is the group. You should watch it! --One Direction "What Makes You Beautiful"--
The song has a good message. My favorite line is "You don't know you're beautiful. That's what makes you beautiful." In this world a girl is constantly bombarded with ugly thoughts about herself.

You're not pretty enough
You're not skinny enough
Your clothes aren't new enough
Your hair is dumb
You're slow
You're stupid
You're not as good as all the other girls
No boy would like a girl with those shoes
Your eyebrows are too...whatever

I know it's a struggle because I've had these thoughts about myself, well except for the shoe thing. I'm pretty sure my girls will too, if they haven't already. My job as their mom is to help them realize their beauty, inside and out, then teach them to only be attracted to boys who will see their amazing goodness, not their few shortcomings.
That's why I love this song! It's encouraging. It's a way for our girls to realize (even subconsciously) that they want a boy who thinks fabulous things about them. "If only you saw what I can see...that's what makes you beautiful."
I love it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment