"I want to tell you a story about my Great Grandma Whittle, who passed away in 2008 at the age of 102. She was an amazing, beautiful, white-haired, virtuous, charitable lady; the sister of President Ezra Taft Benson. This story happened when Grandma was only 91 years old.
"One day the police came to Grandma's door asking if they could set up surveillance equipment in her window to enact a drug bust at the house across the street. Grandma was very nervous throughout the process and hoped that whomever the people across the street were, they wouldn't get angry and seek retaliation.
"Grandma had always visited her neighbors, taken them food, and invited them for Family Home Evening and so on. She felt terrible that she didn't know these neighbors. She prepared a lovely, large candle with a card, apologizing for being such a bad neighbor and expressing a strong desire to meet them. They had two huge, vicious dogs who wanted to eat Grandma, so she left the gift and card beside the gate.
"A few days later, Grandma's doorbell rang and the neighbor across the street introduced himself as John and said, "I came to thank you for the great candle. That was a very expensive candle."
Grandma, in her straightforward way asked, "John, do you belong to the church?"
He said, "I was baptized but I have not lived a good life."
She asked, "Have you used drugs?"
"Yes."
"Did you sell them?"
"Yes, but I want to change my life."
Grandma said, "You can. This is a wonderful ward."
"The bishop hates me," John replied and he went on to tell of another neighbor who complained of the terrible, loud music coming from John's home.
"Grandma continued to reach out to John. On her next visit, John came running out, took his vicious dogs into a bedroom, and invited Grandma into an immaculate house where she was shocked to see a darling wife with a very young baby. After a warm, friendly visit, Grandma invited the wife to go to church with her. John asked, "If I went also could we sit with you?" Grandma replied,"You can sit anywhere you like."
"It was Easter Sunday, and John called saying his wife was out of town, but he wanted to go to church with her and did she know how to tie a tie. Grandma said, "I used to know." John had bought a new suit, shirt, and beautiful tie. On the third try, she was able to tie it right. At church, Grandma introduced John to several ward members, including the man who had been so upset about the loud music, who managed to say, "I'm glad to see you here."
"One day, John's mother, a beautiful woman, knocked at Grandma's door. She was visiting from California and had spent many years in fasting and prayer for John. She had been to visit Grandma's bishop and he had said, "Well let me tell you about Sister Whittle..."
Katie forwarded this talk to our family the night before she gave it. Somehow I was not familiar with this experience of my great grandmother's. I love it! What a sweetheart. How many of us would shy away even more at the police's request. "Drug dealer? No way! I'm not going over there!" I have to admit, that would likely be my reaction. Not Grandma's. Her tendency was to love.
Although Grandma passed away several years ago I still think of her every time I sing the hymn "Love at Home." I always will. At her request we sang it at every family function. It was her way of teaching us (without being preachy) of the importance of loving each other, especially our family members.
"Love at Home"--
1. There is beauty all around
When there's love at home;
There is joy in ev'ry sound
When there's love at home.
Peace and plenty here abide,
Smiling sweet on ev'ry side.
Time doth softly, sweetly glide
When there's love at home.
Love at home, love at home;
Time doth softly, sweetly glide
When there's love at home.
2. In the cottage there is joy
When there's love at home;
Hate and envy ne'er annoy
When there's love at home.
Roses bloom beneath our feet;
All the earth's a garden sweet,
Making life a bliss complete
When there's love at home.
Love at home, love at home;
Making life a bliss complete
When there's love at home.
3. Kindly heaven smiles above
When there's love at home;
All the world is filled with love
When there's love at home.
Sweeter sings the brooklet by;
Brighter beams the azure sky.
Oh, there's One who smiles on high
When there's love at home.
Love at home, love at home;
Oh, there's One who smiles on high
When there's love at home.
Elder Neal A. Maxwell said, "Good homes are still the best source of good humans." I am so thankful for the women who have preceded me in my family tree. I have been blessed with an incredible mother, mother-in-law, grandmothers, great-grandmothers, sisters, aunts, cousins, etc. Dustin too has an amazing family of women. I know there is an enormous responsibility that is now mine to teach my daughters the importance of establishing a good home, a place of refuge from the world, a place of love, comfort, peace, and security.
I am thankful for scriptures that teach of the importance to love and how to love--
Ephesians 5:25, "Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it."
Titus 2:4, "Teach the young women to...love their husbands, to love their children."
1 Peter 1:22, "See that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently."
1 John 4:2, "We love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments."
Mosiah 4:15, "Ye will teach them to walk in the ways of truth and soberness; ye will teach them to love one another, and to serve one another."
Doctrine and Covenants 42: 22&45, "Thou shalt love thy wife with all thy heart, and shalt cleave unto her and none else. Thou shalt live together in love."
It sure feels good to be loved. I am thankful for all those who love me, my cute hubs, and our darling daughters!! You know who you are... =)

No comments:
Post a Comment